Class Action Litigation
Silverman Thompson has served as local and lead counsel in the prosecution and defense of class action matters in Maryland and throughout the United States. Examples of some of the high-profile class action matters we have litigated and are litigating include:
- Jane Doe No. 1, et al. v. Johns Hopkins Hospital, et al.: In what is believed to be the largest recovery of its kind, a $190 million dollar settlement was approved for all former patients of Dr. Nikita A. Levy relating to his photographing or videotaping activities or boundary violations. Silverman Thompson represented several plaintiffs, served on the Plaintiffs' Steering Committee, and headed the Minority Claimants Committee.
- Richard Dent, et al. v. National Football League: Silverman Thompson represented a group of retired professional football players who sued the League based on its failure to properly administer certain medications. The case was originally dismissed on preemption grounds, with Silverman Thompson successfully overturning that decision on appeal. The case was again dismissed and again is on appeal.
- In re National Hockey League Concussion Litigation: Silverman Thompson filed the first lawsuit in what ultimately became a consolidated matter in MultiDistrict Litigation. After years of litigation, in which Silverman Thompson also successfully fended off a preemption attack, the parties reached a meaningful settlement.
- In re Marriott Int'l, Inc. Customer Data Security Breach Litig.: Silverman Thompson is co-lead counsel for a putative class of financial institutions harmed by the data breach suffered by Marriott hotels.
- Baehr, et al. v. The Creig Northrop Team, P.C., et al.: Silverman Thompson represents one of the defendants in this matter that was certified as a class action but ultimately dismissed on summary judgment grounds. That decision has been appealed.
Silverman Thompson welcomes the opportunity to serve as local counsel in putative class action matters, having done so scores of times in matters pending in the Circuit Courts of Maryland and the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Our intimate knowledge of local practice and procedures, as well as deep familiarity with the Maryland state and federal benches, provide intrinsic value to any class action proceeding.
We invite you to contact us or call our office at 410.385.2225 or 800.385.2243 for a complimentary consultation to see how we can make a difference for you.