Intellectual Property Law
Silverman Thompson recognizes that intellectual property rights are critical assets of nearly every business environment. Trademarks protect company names, product names, and even the features of some products. Trade secrets cover important confidential information, ranging from customer lists to recipes to industrial processes. Copyright protection applies to a wide range of materials, including the products of creative industries (like music, pictures, and books) as well as materials used by businesses in general (like websites, marketing materials, and software). Patents help inventors to protect and profit from new and useful discoveries, even those that patent owners have not yet incorporated into new product lines.
For both growing and established companies, it can be difficult to navigate through the legal landscape of intellectual property, where the law is complex, nuanced, and constantly changing. Our experienced attorneys can help, whether your business is working to acquire valuable intellectual property rights, to monetize your rights through licensing or litigation, and to defend against the claims of others. Specifically, the services offered by the firm include:
- Intellectual property litigation in federal and state courts
- Intellectual property licensing and negotiation
- Appeals in intellectual property cases
- Trademark and copyright registrations
- Trademark freedom-to-operate analyses
- Patent infringement analyses and opinion letters
- Drafting confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements
- Drafting amicus briefs in intellectual property disputes
We are a full-service law firm, so our intellectual property clients benefit from the wealth of experience and breadth of knowledge of the firm’s attorneys in other areas of practice. Should a need or question arise in another practice area, there is likely an in-house expert on hand to provide confidential assistance.