Steven D. SilvermanManaging Partner
Mr. Silverman is the managing partner of the firm with twenty-five years of litigation experience in federal and state courts throughout the region. Mr. Silverman is recognized as one of the most able trial lawyers and negotiators in Maryland, and has enjoyed an extraordinary record of success.
His principal areas of practice include all types of complex civil litigation and appeals, as well as high-profile criminal litigation. He has been recognized as one of the top 100 trial lawyers in Maryland for 12 consecutive years by the The American Association of Trial Lawyers, was named by a national publication as one of the top 10 criminal defense attorneys in the Northeast, and was named top 100 lawyers overall in the Northeast United States.
Since 1991, Mr. Silverman has represented thousands of criminal clients in courts throughout Maryland and the mid-Atlantic region. He has not lost a jury trial in any criminal matter in over two decades.
Although he established himself as a criminal defense attorney early in his career, Mr. Silverman has also served as lead counsel in scores of complex civil jury trials in state and federal courts. His skills and success in the civil courtroom led to him being named a Maryland "Super Lawyer" for civil litigation since 2007. He has also been appointed by Federal Courts as lead or co-lead in several nation class actions including the NHL Concussion Litigation, The NFL Painkiller Litigation, Under Armor Securities Litigation and the Marriott Data Breach Litigation, to name a few.
J.D., University of Baltimore School of Law, 1991
B.A., University of Richmond, 1988
United States District Court, District of Maryland, 1994
Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2012
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2015
Mr. Silverman's cases have often been widely reported. He has appeared on broadcast media programs including 60 Minutes, Face The Nation, BBC Worldwide, The Today Show, Good Morning America, Anderson 360, all national network evening news programs, the Dr. Phil Show and ESPN Sports Center, to name a few.
He has served as a legal consultant for the Washington Post, the Baltimore Sun, the Maryland Daily Record, CBS News and other national and local media. He has been invited by the Bar Association to lecture before colleagues and has served as a member of the Judicial Selections Committee. He also has been invited to present at UCLA School of Law's Labor and Sports Symposium and at area law schools on a variety of topics.
Some cases of note include:Civil Litigation Class Actions
- Representation of thousands of former National Football League (NFL) players led by Richard Dent and Jim McMahon in litigation against the league (2014-present), including two appellate victories in the Federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Co-Lead counsel to hundreds of former National Hockey League (NHL) players in a groundbreaking litigation against the league for concussion injuries (2013-2019).
- Victims of convicted Washington D.C. voyeur Rabbi Barry Freundel (2019)
- St. Paul's School of Concord, NH rape victim Chessy Prout (2017-2019)
- Surviving victim of accused Maryland cannibal Alexander Kinyua in his claims against a state university (2014).
- Baltimore Gun Trace Task Force victims Umar Burley and Brent Mathews who went to federal prison after Baltimore Police admittedly planted drugs in their vehicle (2019-2020).
- UFC world champion Rose Namajunas and others in the New York City Barclay Center bus attack by Conor McGregor (2019).
- The successful representation of victims of the catastrophic Amtrak/ CSX collision in Chase, Maryland (1996).
- Lead trial counsel in a successful multi-million dollar wrongful death claim by the family of a Maryland juvenile killed by officials at the Bowling Brook Preparatory School in Carroll County, Maryland. The case drew significant national interest and caused significant change in the Maryland Juvenile Justice System (2011).
- Successful representation of boxing world champions Riddick Bowe and Virgil Hill in separate litigation voiding long term and inequitable promotional/ management contracts.
- Representation of thousands of NFL and NFL players in several maters against their respective leagues.
- Representation of scores of professional athletes and Olympians in promotional contracts.
- Successful representation of dozens Maryland judges and attorneys charged with ethics violations.
- Representation of Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh in the United States District Court for fraud and tax evasion (2020).
- Representation of renowned presidential historian Barry Landau in United States District Court involving allegations of the most prolific historical document theft conspiracy in American history. The case was featured on 60 Minutes (2012).
- Successful representation of former One Mind Ministries cult member Ria Ramkissoon by obtaining a plea of probation in a case where Ms. Ramkissoon was charged with 1st degree murder for the alleged starvation of her one-year-old son. This case garnered significant media attention in the United States and abroad. It is believed to be the first case in the history of American jurisprudence to include a "resurrection clause" in the plea agreement.
- Successful representation of former undisputed World Heavyweight Boxing Champion Riddick Bowe in numerous civil and criminal matters spanning a decade including a criminal trial acquittal in Prince George's County, Maryland.
- Successful representation of an ex-NBA basketball player and his wife in a federal criminal fraud investigation and prosecution in U.S. District Court, Greenbelt, Maryland. All fraud charges dismissed.
- Successful defense of several politicians in matters before a criminal grand jury resulting in no charges filed.
- Representation of a state campaign treasurer on theft and election law charges. The case was dismissed on the fourth day of trial by the State Prosecutor due to “inconsistent” testimony elicited by Mr. Silverman’s cross-examination of a Baltimore City Councilwoman. The Councilwoman subsequently resigned under pressure of perjury charges.
- Reversal of first degree murder conviction by Maryland Appellate Court. State v Bircher, 221 Md. App. 425 (2015)
- Lead appellate counsel in a high-profile case resulting in the reversal on appeal of one of the largest verdicts in Maryland history-a $33.6 million judgment by a Circuit Court judge in favor of retired Raven Michael McCrary against two former business associates. Fisher v. McCrary Crescent City, LLC et al. 186 Md App. 86 (2010)
- 2006-2014 Commissioner, Maryland Commission on Judicial Disabilities
- 1991-1994 Assistant Public Defender, Baltimore City, Felony Narcotics Division
- 1989-1991 Law Clerk, Office of the Attorney General, Civil Litigation Division
- Maryland Governor's Citation for Service to the Judiciary 2014
- Dean's Award, University of Baltimore Law School 2017
- "50 Most Influential Marylander" by The Daily Record 2015
- Avvo rating: "Perfect 10: Superb" 2020
- US News and World Report: Best Lawyers 2020
- Named as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in the State of Maryland by the American Association of Trial Lawyers 2007-2020
- Appointed to Commission on Judicial Disabilities (4 year term) 2005, Re-Appointed in 2009 (4 year term)
- Named as one of the Top 100 lawyers in the Northeast in Arrive Magazine 2012
- Named as one of the Top 10 criminal defense attorneys in the Northeast by Avvo 2011
- Fellow, the Litigation Counsel of America 2009-2019
- Selected as a Maryland Super Lawyer 2007-2020
- Appointed to serve on Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler’s
Transition Committee 2006
Maryland Criminal Defense Attorney’s Association
Maryland Trial Lawyers Association
Maryland State Bar Association
Bar Association for Baltimore City