Todd maintains a diverse civil litigation practice including complex multi-jurisdiction business disputes, defense and prosecution of tort and contract claims in state and federal court, and representation of students in Title IX and other disciplinary proceedings. Todd’s recent achievements include obtaining injunctive relief for an Annapolis-area private school to a stop a parent from disparaging the school on social media; obtaining a not responsible finding for a local university student accused of sexual assault; and negotiating a successful settlement on behalf of a small business owner sued by a former employee.
While Todd takes pride in his ability to deliver results for clients in a wide range of matters, he specializes in appellate work. As an Assistant Attorney General in the Criminal Appeals Division of the Maryland Attorney General’s Office, Todd handled hundreds of cases in Maryland’s appellate courts, and since joining the firm, he has maintained a regular state appellate court practice while also briefing matters in the U.S. Courts of Appeal for Third, Fourth, Fifth, and Ninth Circuits.
Todd is also an expert in search and seizure law. He handled a number of high profile Fourth Amendment cases while in the Maryland Attorney General’s Office, including a series of cases addressing the effect of marijuana decriminalization on the authority of police to search and arrest. Todd has put that experience to work at the firm to help clients get illegally seized evidence tossed out and the charges against them dropped.
When not busy practicing law, Todd enjoys biking and spending time outside with his two rescue German Shepherds.
J.D., University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, 2008
magna cum laude
B.A., Bucknell University, 2000
Biology, summa cum laude
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Supreme Court of the United States
Maryland State Bar Association
- Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Maryland Attorney General, Criminal Appeals Division, 2012–2020
- Honors Attorney, Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Maryland Attorney General, Criminal Appeals Division, 2010–2012
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Deborah S. Eyler, Court of Special Appeals of Maryland, 2009–2010
- Law Clerk to the Honorable James R. Eyler, Court of Special Appeals of Maryland, 2008–2009
- Judicial Intern to the Honorable Paul W. Grimm, United States District Court for the District of Maryland, 2006
- Co-author, Warnken’s Maryland Criminal Procedure, 2d Edition (2022)
- Alexander Cummings Award for Appellate Advocacy, 2018
- Supreme Court Fellow, National Association of Attorneys General, 2015
- Maryland Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa