Jodie E. BuchmanPartner
Ms. Buchman maintains a diverse and complex commercial, real estate, bankruptcy, business and finance practice which is primarily litigation oriented. Ms. Buchman regularly represents title insurance companies, government contractors, employers and their insureds, hotels, property owners and landlords, vendors, suppliers, utility companies, business partners, and various other business entities in a variety of complex commercial and business disputes in and out of litigation including:
- Commercial disputes (including contract disputes, collections, construction disputes, vendor-supplier disputes, trade secret litigation, company formation, employment disputes, business divorces, government contract disputes between prime and sub-contractor, defense of Bivens claims)
- Real estate disputes (including title insurance matters, boundary disputes, land use matters, lease negotiations and terminations, purchase and sale of property, foreclosures and receiverships)
- All aspects of workout, restructuring and bankruptcy matters primarily on behalf of the creditor or prospective purchaser (including asset sales, plan confirmation, loan workouts and bankruptcy financings, assumption or rejection of executory contracts, defense of adversary proceedings, landlord and tenant disputes, vendor and supplier disputes, committee participation, and dischargeability complaints)
Prior to joining Silverman Thompson, Ms. Buchman was Of Counsel at DLA Piper LLP and a partner at Gebhardt & Smith LLP.
J.D., University of Maryland Francis King Carey Law School, 1999
B.A., Bucknell University, 1996
District of Columbia
United States District Court, District of Maryland
United States District Court, District of Columbia
United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Represented one of the largest creditors in a high profile Chapter 11 case.
- Represented one of the largest creditors in a Chapter 11 case filed by one of the largest hospital systems in New York.
- Defended over twenty former employees of a company in Chapter 11 from claims filed by the trustee for avoidance of fraudulent conveyances and preferences.
- Represented the secured creditor in a Chapter 11 case in Delaware.
- Obtained dismissal for a title insurance company from a bad faith claim.
- Successfully represented title insurance companies’ insureds in resolving title disputes to real property.
- Represented landlord in Chapter 11 case filed by its tenant.
- Represented title insurance company in one of the largest title agent defalcations in Maryland which included handling over 100 title claims and seeking recoupment from the individuals responsible for causing the defalcation.
- Representing franchisees in a litigation dispute with their franchisor.
- Represented utility company in complex civil litigation matter involving a power plant at an office complex.
- Defended preference avoidance actions brought against a large hotel chain.
- Represented two different defendants in Bivens lawsuits.
- Represented secured lender who successfully purchased debtor's company.
- Represented family members of victims of mass shooting in lawsuit against employer and landlord.
- Represented partners in business divorce cases involving limited liability companies and close corporations.
- Represented subcontractor in dispute with private contractor.
- Represented private contractor in dispute with subcontractor.
1999-2000 Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Joseph F. Murphy, Jr., Court of Special Appeals of Maryland
- 2023 The Best Lawyers in America - Commercial Litigation
- Maryland Super Lawyer (Rising Star)
- Reporter for the Subcommittee on Bankruptcy Remote Entities, Bankruptcy-Proofing and Public Policy for the ABI Commission to Study the Reform of Chapter 11
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey Law School Alumni Board
- Maryland Bar Association Voir Dire Committee, Co-Chair of Real Estate Committee
- Board member of IWIRC (Vice-Chair 2022)
- Board Member of TMA - Chesapeake Chapter
- Appointment to Florida International University Business Women in Leadership Advisory Council
American Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Turnaround Management Association
International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association
Maryland State Bar Association
Baltimore City Bar Association