Jodie E. BuchmanPartner
Ms. Buchman maintains a diverse and complex commercial, real estate, bankruptcy and finance practice which is primarily litigation oriented. Ms. Buchman regularly represents title insurance companies and their insureds, hotels, property owners and landlords, vendors, suppliers, utility companies and various other business entities in a variety of complex commercial disputes in and out of litigation including:
- commercial disputes (including contract disputes, collections, construction disputes, vendor-supplier disputes)
- real estate disputes (including title insurance matters, boundary disputes, land use matters, lease negotiations and terminations, purchase and sale of property, foreclosures and receiverships)
- all aspects of workout, restructuring and bankruptcy matters primarily on behalf of the creditor or prospective purchaser (including asset sales, plan confirmation, defense of adversary proceedings, landlord and tenant disputes, vendor and supplier disputes (including in bankruptcy and commercial litigation).
Prior to joining Silverman Thompson, Ms. Buchman was Of Counsel at DLA Piper LLP and a partner at Gebhardt & Smith LLP.
J.D., University of Maryland Francis King Carey Law School, 1999
B.A., Bucknell University, 1996
District of Columbia
United States District Court, District of Maryland
United States District Court, District of Columbia
United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Represented one of the largest creditors in a high profile Chapter 11 case.
- Represented one of the largest creditors in a Chapter 11 case filed by one of the largest hospital systems in New York.
- Defended over twenty former employees of a company in Chapter 11 from claims filed by the trustee for avoidance of fraudulent conveyances and preferences.
- Represented the secured creditor in a Chapter 11 case in Delaware.
- Obtained dismissal for a title insurance company from a bad faith claim.
- Successfully represented title insurance companies’ insureds in resolving title disputes to real property.
- Represented landlord in Chapter 11 case filed by its tenant.
- Represented title insurance company in one of the largest title agent defalcations in Maryland which included handling over 100 title claims and seeking recoupment from the individuals responsible for causing the defalcation.
- Representing franchisees in a litigation dispute with their franchisor.
- Represented utility company in complex civil litigation matter involving a power plant at an office complex.
- Defended preference avoidance actions brought against a large hotel chain.
1999-2000 Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Joseph F. Murphy, Jr., Court of Special Appeals of Maryland
- Maryland Super Lawyer (Rising Star)
- Reporter for the Subcommittee on Bankruptcy Remote Entities, Bankruptcy-Proofing and Public Policy for the ABI Commission to Study the Reform of Chapter 11
American Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute
Turnaround Management Association
International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring
Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association
Maryland State Bar Association
Baltimore City Bar Association
University of Maryland Francis King Carey Law School Alumni Board
Maryland Bar Association Voir Dire Committee